Thursday, March 17, 2011

Dinner and a nocturnal tour of Kenyana Wildlife Center

June is the art teacher at Koondoola school.  She is super nice (hi June!).  She drove me around, took me to dinner and to her house, and she took me to Kenyana for a nocturnal tour.
 
I haven't eaten out much so this was a nice treat.  This is a chicken satay pizza at an Italian restaurant.  Yum.  June is originally from England (decades ago) so I wasn't surprised when she ordered a shandy.  I had one too (it's basically beer and lemonade).
June's sculptures.
 
June's dogs.


Kenyana has several buildings and big cages outside too.  It used to be a girl scout center.  Now it houses an animal hospital and native animals.  There is a nice little lecture room where the introduction was given where I felt like singing Kum Bay Ya.
Echindna.  One of the coolest animals ever.  Rare and unusual.



Blue tongued lizard.  They really do have a very blue tongue and are common here.  Below, night pictures are really difficult under red lights.  The animals can't see red lights but humans can see to feed and visit at night when the animals are active.
  They breed bilbies at Kenyana.  Bilbies look sort of like rabbits.
Rabbits are not native here and they are very problematic and so some Australians prefer to celebrate the native bilbie at Easter instead.  I want a chocolate bilbie for Easter!


No comments:

Post a Comment